The 2016 International Franchise Expo attracted visitors from 118 countries across the globe. Similar expectations for 2017 provide U.S. franchisors a golden opportunity to let the world, and its business, come directly to them. The IFA sponsored Expo will take place June 15-17th at the Javits Center in New York City.
International attendance is in no shortage thanks to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Buyer Program (IBP). As an IBP certified event, the commercial teams of US Embassies and Consulates recruit pre-screened international buyers to attend the Expo and engage with American exhibitors. The IBP produced 30 foreign delegations to the International Franchise Expo in 2016.
In an increasingly interconnected world, international franchising now also means franchisors are entering U.S. markets. Seeking to expand into the largest franchise economy, many rising international players are following the likes of IFA members such as InterContinental Hotels, Kumon, Illy, Tim Horton’s, Bonchon, Paris Baguette, and Pollo Campero.
Educational programs on international franchising further enhance the value of participating. Many of these educational sessions have been approved for CFE accreditation. This year’s Expo will include seminars and sessions on international topics including:
- An Overview of Key U.S. Trends and Regulatory Issues for International Franchisors
- Latin America – A Great Market Opportunity to Expand Your Franchise
- Selling Franchises Internationally Without Getting Into Trouble
- Strategies for Penetrating the U.S. Market for Overseas Franchisors (Separate Fee Required)
- Selecting the Best Franchise Structure for Domestic and International Expansion
- Going International – Moving Intelligently into International Expansion
- Negotiating Your First International Franchise: Achieving Success by Avoiding the Big Mistakes
- State of the Union on the Franchise Climate in Mexico
- Important Steps for Franchisors Considering Entering the U.S. Market
- Master Franchising/Three Party Franchising – Why Do Some Success and Others Struggle
- International Expansion: Master Franchising and Other Structures
To learn more or register to attend, please visit: http://www.ifeinfo.com/. For free admission, enter the promo code “IFA” when registering!
Watch the Trade Mission Preview & Opportunities in India & Sri Lanka Webinar to learn from experts about the upcoming IFA/Franchise Times/US Commercial Service Franchise Trade Mission to India & Sri Lanka and opportunities in these burgeoning markets. The speakers include:
- Rajeev Manchanda, Vice President, Franchising Association of India & Director, Inventure India Pvt. Ltd.
- Jennifer Loffredo, Director of Franchise Programs , U.S. Commercial Service
- Partha Mazumdar, Economic and Commercial Section Chief, U.S. Embassy Colombo, Sri Lanka
Watch the webinar now!
No large franchise market is growing faster than India and no market offers franchising more ongoing runway for expansion. This meteoric growth is being driven by factors ranging from the growth of the middle class to Prime Minister Modi’s liberalizing influence on the economy. In late 2014 KPMG reported that India’s franchise economy would quadruple in size through 2017. See BBC coverage of the last IFA mission to India.
Sri Lanka occupies a strategic position in South Asia and The Financial Times calls Sri Lanka “Asia’s next tiger”. A rapidly expanding middle class in this country of 20 million is driving consumption growth and demand for international brands. Sri Lanka offers abundant market opportunities in the franchise sector.
What does a franchise trade mission offer?
- One-on-one matchmaking meetings with pre-screened investors
- Commercial, legal, real estate and cultural briefings
- Networking events with the local franchise community and government officials
- Site visits (understand markets from the ground up)
- Available market research
- Help accessing suppliers in the market
- Help with travel, accommodations, and interpreter services
The mission will visit Mumbai and Delhi, India and Colombo, Sri Lanka December 4-9, 2016. IFA mounts franchise trade missions on a non-profit basis as a member service. The mission cost is $6,950. The application deadline is close of business, ET on October 14th, 2016.
Click here to learn more about the mission and apply!
The newest webinar in IFA’s International Toolkit Series is “A Franchisor’s Guide to Exporting Goods” presented by Nery’s Logistics. Supply chain is critical to most franchise systems and an ever increasing number of franchisors are exporting goods. Managing an international supply chain presents challenges beyond those faced domestically. Supply chain impacts everything from franchise relations to brand reputation to profitability.
This webinar will cover:
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Steps to prevent your shipment from getting stuck at the border
- Using technology to manage supply chain
Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 11 am ET (1 hour)
Click here to register
Sandro Piancone, Director, Nery’s Logistics
Alex Oswiecinski, Vice President of International Operations and Development, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches
If you want to reach Europe’s fastest growing economy at The Franchise Show, Ireland, but don’t have time to exhibit in your own booth you can consider the Showcase in the US Pavilion.
Taking place September 9th & 10 in Dublin, the Showcase lets you present your concept on the show floor to thousands of prospects with signage, a 50-word description, and promotional material. The program will be backed-up and staffed by experienced professionals who will capture & qualify interested candidates as they present your opportunity to all attendees, including prospective master franchisees and area developers. The Franchise Show, Ireland includes a matchmaking platform. Prospective franchisees participating in matchmaking will be gauged for their interest in brands participating in the Showcase. All interested candidates will be given to you, directly following the event. The Showcase participation fee is $1,950.
- The only English speaking European Union member country still committed to EU membership
- The fastest growing economy in the Eurozone
- Home to a flourishing Franchise industry, already worth nearly $3 billion
- Administered by a stable Government with good, existing, international connections across Europe and beyond
Call Rick Brunsman for more information about the Showcase at 201.881.1606 or email RBrunsman@MFVexpo.com.
To learn more about the Expo visit: www.thefranchiseshow.ie
Speaking to a packed room of attorneys and franchise executives, IFA Chairman Aziz Hashim spoke about a new vision of engaging franchise employees and the public during the opening remarks of IFA’s 2016 Legal Symposium. Mr. Hashim drew from his deep experience as both a franchisee and franchisor, noting that the success of the business model in creating a seamless consumer experience has led to the misperception that franchisors employ franchisees’ employees among the public and policymakers. This misperception, he says, has led to misguided policies like the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) nebulous joint employer standard.
While IFA’s efforts to educate the public, policymakers, and other influencers has been successful at gaining awareness of the issue, the inherent misunderstanding of franchising will take time to rectify. Mr. Hashim’s vision for the future includes part of the training program for every new employee of a franchisee to include an IFA-provided breakdown of what franchising is, and who the employee’s actual employer is. With over 9 million people directly employed in franchised businesses at any given time, it is paramount that employees are able to relay the positive message of franchising and its local impact. Mr. Hashim’s term as IFA Chairman looks like it will kick off the process of alleviating the misperceptions of franchising, much like his rousing words kicked off a successful IFA Legal Symposium.