Watch the Trade Mission Preview & Opportunities in India & Sri Lanka Webinar to learn from experts about the upcoming IFA/Franchise Times/US Commercial Service Franchise Trade Mission to India & Sri Lanka and opportunities in these burgeoning markets. The speakers include:
- Rajeev Manchanda, Vice President, Franchising Association of India & Director, Inventure India Pvt. Ltd.
- Jennifer Loffredo, Director of Franchise Programs , U.S. Commercial Service
- Partha Mazumdar, Economic and Commercial Section Chief, U.S. Embassy Colombo, Sri Lanka
Watch the webinar now!
No large franchise market is growing faster than India and no market offers franchising more ongoing runway for expansion. This meteoric growth is being driven by factors ranging from the growth of the middle class to Prime Minister Modi’s liberalizing influence on the economy. In late 2014 KPMG reported that India’s franchise economy would quadruple in size through 2017. See BBC coverage of the last IFA mission to India.
Sri Lanka occupies a strategic position in South Asia and The Financial Times calls Sri Lanka “Asia’s next tiger”. A rapidly expanding middle class in this country of 20 million is driving consumption growth and demand for international brands. Sri Lanka offers abundant market opportunities in the franchise sector.
What does a franchise trade mission offer?
- One-on-one matchmaking meetings with pre-screened investors
- Commercial, legal, real estate and cultural briefings
- Networking events with the local franchise community and government officials
- Site visits (understand markets from the ground up)
- Available market research
- Help accessing suppliers in the market
- Help with travel, accommodations, and interpreter services
The mission will visit Mumbai and Delhi, India and Colombo, Sri Lanka December 4-9, 2016. IFA mounts franchise trade missions on a non-profit basis as a member service. The mission cost is $6,950. The application deadline is close of business, ET on October 14th, 2016.
Click here to learn more about the mission and apply!
The newest webinar in IFA’s International Toolkit Series is “A Franchisor’s Guide to Exporting Goods” presented by Nery’s Logistics. Supply chain is critical to most franchise systems and an ever increasing number of franchisors are exporting goods. Managing an international supply chain presents challenges beyond those faced domestically. Supply chain impacts everything from franchise relations to brand reputation to profitability.
This webinar will cover:
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Steps to prevent your shipment from getting stuck at the border
- Using technology to manage supply chain
Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 11 am ET (1 hour)
Click here to register
Sandro Piancone, Director, Nery’s Logistics
Alex Oswiecinski, Vice President of International Operations and Development, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches
If you want to reach Europe’s fastest growing economy at The Franchise Show, Ireland, but don’t have time to exhibit in your own booth you can consider the Showcase in the US Pavilion.
Taking place September 9th & 10 in Dublin, the Showcase lets you present your concept on the show floor to thousands of prospects with signage, a 50-word description, and promotional material. The program will be backed-up and staffed by experienced professionals who will capture & qualify interested candidates as they present your opportunity to all attendees, including prospective master franchisees and area developers. The Franchise Show, Ireland includes a matchmaking platform. Prospective franchisees participating in matchmaking will be gauged for their interest in brands participating in the Showcase. All interested candidates will be given to you, directly following the event. The Showcase participation fee is $1,950.
- The only English speaking European Union member country still committed to EU membership
- The fastest growing economy in the Eurozone
- Home to a flourishing Franchise industry, already worth nearly $3 billion
- Administered by a stable Government with good, existing, international connections across Europe and beyond
Call Rick Brunsman for more information about the Showcase at 201.881.1606 or email RBrunsman@MFVexpo.com.
To learn more about the Expo visit: www.thefranchiseshow.ie
The 2015 International Franchise Expo attracted visitors from 122 countries. Expectations of similarly big international numbers in 2016 give U.S. franchisors the chance to explore global growth without crossing a border. The IFA sponsored Expo takes place June 16th to 18th at the Javits Center in New York City.
A key reason that so many attendees at Expo are international is the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Buyer Program (IBP). As an IBP certified event, the commercial sections of U.S. Embassies and Consulates recruit pre-screened international buyers to attend the Expo and meet with U.S exhibitors. The International Buyer Program produced 40 investor delegations to the International Franchise Expo in 2015 alone.
International franchising now also means franchisors entering the US. As franchisors from outside the U.S. grow in scale and sophistication, many target the largest franchise economy in the world for expansion, seeking to follow the footsteps of IFA members like, InterContinental Hotels, Kumon, Illy, Tim Horton’s, Bonchon, Paris Baguette and Pollo Campero. The 2016 International Franchise Expo will include 40 international exhibitors from 17 countries, including pavilions from Japan, Korea and the United Kingdom.
Educational programs related to international franchising enhances the value of participating. Many of these educational sessions are for CFE credit. Internationally oriented Seminars and Symposia at this year’s Expo include:
- Master Franchising – Why do Some Succeed and Others Struggle
- Structuring Your Franchise Network Expansion
- Selling Franchises Internationally Without Getting Into Trouble
- Global Franchise Expansion: Strategies for Lucrative & Planned Growth
- Going International- Moving Intelligently Into International Expansion
- Selecting the Best Franchise Structure for Domestic and International Expansion
- International Expansion: Master Franchising and Other Structures
- Hidden Franchise Opportunities in the Middle East
- An Overview of Key U.S. Trends and Regulatory Issues for International Franchisors
- Strategies for Franchising into the U.S. Market
- Navigating the U.S. Marketplace
- Important Steps for Franchisors Considering Entering the U.S. Market
To learn more and participate visit: http://www.ifeinfo.com/
To get free passes to the Expo courtesy of the IFA click here.
The International Toolkit is now live at franchise.org/InternationalToolkit. The Toolkit is designed to be a core resource for IFA Members interested in international franchising. At the heart of the Toolkit are webinar courses that comprise a curriculum in franchising across borders. Six courses are now accessible with more to come. The Toolkit can be found prominently featured on the main international page of IFA’s website.
The free courses now available are:
- Preparing Your Company to go Global, presented by Edwards Global Services
- Development Models for Global Expansion, presented by DLA Piper
- Legal and Regulatory Requirements of International Franchising, presented by Gray Plant Mooty
- Drafting and Negotiating an International Franchise Agreement, presented by Dickinson Wright
- Commercial Strategies to Export a Franchise to the U.S., presented by MSA Worldwide
- Legal Aspects of Bringing Your Franchise to the U.S. – Myth v. Reality, presented by Gray Plant Mooty
IFA’s International Toolkit offers a number of resources beyond the courses. IFA has partnered with Getting the Deal Through Guide to bring members profiles of franchise laws in 42 countries. In an effort to support your international development, IFA has posted a calendar of international franchise shows in 2016 online.
Country profiles on IFA’s site will soon be dramatically improved. IFA worked with the Department of Commerce and World Bank to rebuild these pages so fresh data relevant to franchise companies is constantly available. Finally, if you want personal feedback, look at the international tracks of the FranShip program to get mentoring from an IFA member expert.