Now that the successful IFA Annual Convention is concluded, it’s a good time to pause and consider how great this industry is thanks to its many talented, dedicated and innovator leaders. We heard them preside over educational sessions during the convention and read about them in issues of Franchising World magazine. But what do we know about them before their prominent franchise careers?
Let’s look at just three. Besides the impressive summary below of IFA’s 2015 Chairwoman Melanie Bergeron, CFE, did you know she had a career in pharmaceutical sales and in college she was a magician’s assistant? Or did you know that IFA 2014 Chairman Steve Joyce (president and chairman of Choice Hotels International, Inc.) worked in restaurants from the time he was 12? Or did you know that IFA Pres. and CEO Steve Caldeira, CFE, began his career on Capitol Hill as a legislative correspondent?
The reasons behind the power of franchising are as numerous as its best and brightest franchisees, franchisors and suppliers!
Check out the #IFA2015 recap video!
IFA Chairman’s Snapshot — Melanie Bergeron, CFE
Chairwoman, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK/INTERNATIONAL, Inc., which has 298 domestic and 24 international locations.
• Joined the family business in 1989 when she was awarded the first TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise in Atlanta.
• Joined the home office in Lansing, Mich. in the 1990s.
• Named TWO MEN AND A TRUCK president in 1994.
• Became chief operating officer in 2002.
• Assumed role of CEO in 2007.
• Named chairwoman in 2009.
Career in pharmaceutical sales.
• Member, IFA board of directors since 2008, holding such posts as Vice Chairwoman (2014), Treasurer (2013), Secretary (2012).
• Chairwoman, Convention Committee (2014)
• First Vice Chairwoman, Educational Foundation Executive Committee (2013-2014) and member since 2008; First Vice Chairwoman Educational Foundation Board of Trustees (2014).
• Secretary, ICFE Board of Governors (2006-2011) and member since 2001.
• Member, Franchisor Forum Advisory Board since 2006.
• Member, FranPAC Advisory Committee since 2004.
• Member, International Committee and International Interest Group since 2014.
• Member, Young Presidents Association.
• Member, Central Michigan University Dean’s Business Advisory Council.
• Winner, 2009 IFA Bonny LeVine Award
Bachelor’s Degree, Marketing and Business Administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich.